14th April 2015, 12:10 PM
The points that I followed in preparing Precis
How to write A Precis?????
1. A Precis is a summary. Precis-Writing is a very useful exercise. Most of us read carelessly.
2. Writing precis gives training in careful reading. Precis-writing is regarded as a very important kind of composition because it develops one's capacity to discriminate between the essential and the non-essential.
3. A Precis is a shortening, in your own words, of a text of written work. You are to describe as accurately and briefly as possible the substance or main ideas contained in a text.
4. To write an effective précis, read the passage several times for a full understanding.
5. Note key points. It may, in fact, be helpful to underline these words.
6. Do not use abbreviations or contractions. When writing about history, use the past tense.
7. Finally, check your précis against the original to be sure that it is exact and retains the order, proportions, and relationships of the original.
Write a Precis of the following passage.
One of our most difficult problems is what we call discipline and it is really very complex. You see, society feels that it must control or discipline the citizen, shape his mind according to certain religious, social, moral and economic patterns.
Now, is discipline necessary at all? Please listen carefully. Don’t immediately say YES or NO. Most of us feel, especially while we are young, that there should be no discipline, that we should be allowed to do whatever we like and we think that is freedom. But merely to say that we should be free and so on has very little meaning without understanding the whole problem of discipline.
The keen athlete is disciplining himself the whole time, isn't he? His joy in playing games and the very necessity to keep fit makes him go to bed early, refrain from smoking, eat the right food and generally observe the rules of good health. His discipline and punctuality is not an imposition but a natural outcome of his enjoyment of athletics.
Discipline is one of the biggest problems in the world. Society feels that discipline should be controlled to shape the mind of the citizen. Some want to be free to think and do whatever they like. Even the keen athlete is disciplining himself the whole time. He observes the rules of good health.
Important Points :
Discipline seems to be a problem. Society wants to control or discipline the citizen to shape his mind. Some may think that discipline is not necessary because they want to be free to think and do whatever they like. An athlete is disciplining himself. His discipline and punctuality make him enjoy playing games.
DISCIPLINE IS IMPORTANT
Though discipline seems to be a problem, it is necessary for all. Discipline shapes our mind and regulates our habits. Some want to be free and think that it is not necessary. Discipline and punctuality give enjoyment to athletes.
Tags for this Thread